I’m never going back.
Consider Switching To Biphasic Sleep
- Struggle to get 8 hours of sleep a night
- Run out of time during the day
- Have low energy after work
You may already be getting similar REM cycles as Biphasic WITHOUT the nap.
How It Works- Month 1
- Sleep 6 hours at night
- Nap, Set your alarm for 20 minutes and lay in bed
- Wake up and move on with your day
- Repeat everyday for 3 weeks
I only need to sleep ~5 minutes of the 20 minutes to get a REM cycle. You will know- It will feel like 2-3 hours went by, but its only been 20 minutes.
After 3 weeks, your body will adjust. You will have learned how to fall asleep in 20 minutes.
The first 3 weeks are hard.
Final warning- the first 3 weeks are hard.
Before you start:
I recommend picking one consistent time of day +/-2 hours as a target. I do 6pm, and nap between 4-8pm, but an early or later nap is not crushing.
If you drink more than 100mg Caffeine a day, it might be worth abstaining for a few weeks before starting.
I failed and slept in 2 times during those 3 weeks. Do your best.
Set the alarm for 20 minutes, pick a spot, dont open your eyes, don’t move. Wait until the alarm goes off.
- After the 3 weeks are up, your body will start to do this like normal
- You can occasionally skip naps or sleep in
- If sleeping in a car or unusual place, I set my alarm for 25 or 30 minutes
- If I am still tired, I can hit snooze for 20 minutes- this gives me another REM cycle.
- Naps can be early or late in the day
- It doesnt need to be perfect, a long night sleep on the weekend or a snooze button after a nap is still saving you time
Those practices are bad, do your best to limit as much as possible.
Broscience: Strange benefits I’ve discovered- If I sleep in 9+ hours after drinking or if I feel like I’m getting sick- I often can cure it. (Mrs Efficiency agrees)
Me and Mrs Efficiency have swapped drivers to take naps on a long car ride after work.
There are more places/times to nap than you think. We almost never skip it. It is only 20 minutes. (I’ve done it at a wedding and no one noticed.)
As a Detroit Lions Fan who visits my parents on Sunday, the 20 minute nap can be a godsend.
Save Time Sleeping
Enjoy the extra 2 hours. This includes when you diet- expect to be awake 2 extra hours…
The 20 minute nap boosted after-work productivity, but we have used the time to play video games.
Imagine going to bed at 2AM and being awake at 8AM. Was useful changing time zones and traveling Italy.
Plan a time to try it, and start. Give yourself 3 months, see how you like it.
For another Time Saving Tip, Speed Up Netflix and Youtube to Save 6 Minutes Every Hour